Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

What A Best Friend Can Do

So I have decided to be mushy and dedicate a post to my best friend. I have realized over the past month some things that I never really dwelt on before. I have always told her that she has made me who I am today and I stand by that 100%. She also was a big influence on me at a time of need.
Let me take you back to 7th grade. I was a shy nerd with glasses that only had a few friends. All my grade school boyfriends started to realized that outer beauty is what counts. I was starting to mature and was very awkward looking. I went to a school a long ways away from home and didn't go to the same school as the kids in my church. I was alone that first day of school. I had to ride the bus to get to school and mostly sat by myself. I became anorexic, as you read from the last post. This disease made me feel like I was in control of my life. That was one thing I could control when everything else was spinning out of place.
One day I had this knock at my door it was a giant poster-board with a candy gram on it. Basically telling me that I was special and this person wanted me to be their friend. That is how I met Juls. From not too long after that day, all I can remember is being her friend. I know God sent her to be my friend. Through her I actual started eating, I came out of my shell and I flourished. By the middle of 8th grade all of the popular kids wanted me to be their friend. Juls
and I have only had one fight in all the time we have been friends. We will always be there for each other. She knows everything about me and always seem to be an inspiration. I love her like a sister and a friend. We have daughters that have been friends since they were born, they are only two weeks apart. It was fun being pregnant together!
I know God put us here together to be there for each other and look out for each other. Through some of her trials I have said things that I know God put those words in my mouth. I will always be here for her and would do anything for her. I feel like we are kindred spirits.

2 comments:

Gedge's said...

I am totally tearing up right now- it could be from the cutting of my onion for dinner.. You, Liesl, are one of the reasons that I made it through the hardest year of my life. I remember meeting you and you were so shy and I felt the spirit to make that silly candy gram. I didn't know that I would get a best friend out of it. We have had only great times. Boyfriends came and gone, but we were always there, like sisters. You are an awesome example to me and you are such a strong woman... I sometimes wish that I were more like you.
I am glad our girls are such good friends and that we have that special connection of them only being 2 weeks apart. I wish that we lived closer. Right now I could really use some cheering up in life.. And you are the person to do it... Thanks for all you do and all you have done...

Love forever,
Juls

Keri said...

what a sweet post about my sister, liesl... i know that julie has treasured your friendship and that you have been there for here through the good times and the bad.... and for that i am thankful! i love my sis too and i like to see that she is taken care of!