Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

American Idol Tryouts

So here is the post that everyone is waiting for, that right I tried out for American Idol. So the program you watch on TV is so edited. If you didnt try out it is not what you think at all. So I always said that if American Idol came here to Salt Lake I would try out and I am a woman of her word. So here is how it works. You have to go a couple days before and register to try out. My friend Celestia and I went to Energy Solutions Arena at 4:30am, on Sunday July 27, to wait in line to register. They opened the doors at 7:00am and started giving people tickets with seat numbers and writsbands. You could not let your wristband come off or else it would be void and you wouldnt be able to audition. We were done with registration at 7:30am. They had about 10 tables set up, with two people at a table, to get you registered. So that was quick, because we got there so early. We could not see the end of the line at registration, it probably wrapped around the building.














So then we had to return on Tuesday July 29 to actually audition. They gave you a paper with two songs that we had to learn to sing as a group, for filming purposes. Just because you have a wristband doesnt gaurantee that you get an audition either. So on Tuesday we met at 3:30am. They opened the doors to sit down at 8:00am. At about 7:30am they started doing filming outside. Once you get inside you start practicing your songs for the group sing. We sang "Get Ready" and "Aint no Mountain High Enough." They then bring six tables out to the middle of the arena, they have two to three producers at each table, you line up four people across in front of each table. The first person stands up to the table, the producer will tell you "go" to start singing and will hold up there hand when they want you to stop. You got to sing for about 15 seconds. They took section by section in the arena to do this process. It probably took an hour to do one section. Our section went first, YEAH!. After all four people sing they have you step forward if you got cut. If you went through to the next round you got a golden ticket and went to a holding room to wait until all the stadium has sung. If you got cut you went to another door, they cut your wristband off and make you walk up six flights of stairs to leave the building, you are not allowed back in. The people that made it through the first round then had to go through it all again to weed it out more. Randy, Paula and Simon do not travel to any of the cities. When you see them on TV it is in the Renaissance hotel in Hollywood. The people you see audition for them are in Hollywood. The people that go through to audition in front of them dont know completely that they have made it on the show, but pretty much. They start those auditions in October, so in the meantime they will go around and get back stories on the people that went through. It is so all for TV. By the time I auditioned there were three people that had made it to the second round and two of them were horrible. I sang "Taking Chances" by Celine Dion. When I got up to step up to the table my ears were ringing I couldnt hear myself, it was like I was in a dream. When Celestia got up to sing I thought she was going through to the next round. None of us in my line of four made it through to the next round. I didnt think I would make it to Hollywood, but at least the first round. Oh well, you dont know until you try. It was a awesome experience and I was glad I did it. I will be too old to try out again, so no American Idol for me. I would do it again if I could though. I am kind of mad they make the process look so different on TV. You never know you might see me on TV when the show starts, maybe they caught me in a shot.

We met a lot of cool people in line and none of them were from Utah. They were from California, Idaho, Seattle, Oregon and Arizona. That is a lot of money to spend on such a long shot, if you ask me. My dream of kissing Simon will never come true now. Oh well I will have to live my dreams through Tabatha now.
























































1 comment:

Me in a nut shell said...

Hey There.... I am SO MAD, I didn't get to do this with you. What an experience... Look at you blogging more than me.. I feel boring!